Friday, April 1, 2011

Thin Mints

I love Girl Scout cookies.  I realize that seems like a pretty cliché thing to say, because everyone loves Girl Scout cookies.  But I mean I really love them, like eat-an-entire-box-of-thin-mints-in-one-day love them.  Sadly that is not an exaggeration.  So you can imagine how excited I was the other day when I got to the grocery store to see a little group of Girl Scouts selling their delicious cookies.  I had resisted buying Girl Scout cookies all year for the sake of my waistline, but I decided enough was enough and I had to have some thin mints.  We decided to buy them after we got our groceries.  Serious mistake.  When we came out of the store the girls were gone!  The girls, their troop leader, the little table and homemade signs, and all of those delicious cookies I had been craving.  I was so upset.  So I decided I would show little Girl Scout Troop 206 I don't need them or their cookies; I would make my own thin mints.  Well to be completely honest, I like the ones in a box better.  But these were the general idea, and I like anything chocolate and mint.  I actually halved the below recipe, and it made more than enough.  They taste best frozen and will keep longer that way too.

Thin Mints
2 1/4 cups flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
6 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/3 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 tsp peppermint extract

In small bowl whisk together flour, cornstarch, cocoa, and salt.

In large bowl, cream together butter and sugar.  With the mixer on low speed, add in the milk and the extracts.  Gradually add in the flour mixture until fully incorporated.

Shape dough into two logs, about 1.5 inches in diameter, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for 1-2 hours, until dough is very firm.

Slice dough into rounds not more than 1/4" thick - if too thick they won't be crisp.  Place rounds on baking sheet lined with parchment paper (you can place them close together).  Bake for 13-15 minutes at 375 degrees, until cookies are firm at edges.  Cool cookies completely on wire rack before dipping.

For the dark chocolate coating:  10 oz semisweet or dark chocolate + 1/2 cup butter, room temperature

Melt the chocolate and butter together (I prefer double boiler method).  Dip each cookie in chocolate, turning with a fork to coat both sides.  Place on piece of wax paper to set up for at least 30 minutes, or until chocolate is cool and firm.  Makes 4-5 dozen cookies.


Source:  recipe from baking bites

1 comment:

  1. Oh my! Me too! Anything chocolate and mint makes my mouth water. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete