Sunday, April 10, 2011

From the Library of A.W. Tozer

purchase here
I just finished this newly released compilation of writings that influenced the works of A.W. Tozer.  The book is organized into eight different sections each focused on a different theme of the Christian life, from worship to prayer to doctrine.  Within each section there are multiple excerpts from great Christian authors from Saint Augustine to Charles Spurgeon.  Some of the other authors include Martin Luther, D. L. Moody, and Thomas À Kempis, but all of the authors were ones who influenced Tozer's spiritual journey as well as the books he wrote.  I thought the writings were rich and thought-provoking.  It was nice to have little excerpts from longer books or sermons that I wouldn't necessarily take the time to read in their entirety.  I read this book in large sections at a time, but I would recommend reading just one of the selected excerpts--they are only 1-2 pages-- each day. This would also be a great resource for someone teaching a class or a small group.  Because the book is broken up into themed sections, it would be a great reference tool for someone who is looking for something specific.  I think this is a great book and a creative approach to study some of the older Christian writings.

This book was provided to me for free by Bethany House Publishers; however, the above opinion is entirely my own.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this review....definitely makes me want to read it!

    ReplyDelete