Thursday, April 28, 2011

Chewy Peanut Bars

I'm getting a bit of a delayed start today.  We woke last night to a ridiculously loud thunderstorm, then saw there was a tornado warning for our area and the surrounding counties.  I'm not going to lie I was a little scared!  Visions of Dorothy and her little house were in my mind!  The tornado was moving northeast, which meant it could be coming straight here.  We waited until it thankfully went north of us and continued to move on.  We went back to bed around 2, and I had a hard time getting up this morning.  Then we were without power for a while this morning, making it difficult to get ready and, you know, use the internet.  Anyway, if you find yourself sitting in your basement during a tornado warning, you should munch on these chewy peanut bars.  Or just make them to snack on during pleasant weather too.


Chewy Peanut Bars
2 1/4 cups coarsely chopped roasted salted peanuts
1 Tbsp water
50 store-bought soft caramel squares, unwrapped (a 14 oz bag has 50 in it)
1 cup mini marshmallows

Lightly coat an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.  Line with parchment paper, leaving a 1-inch overhang on all sides, then lightly coat the parchment paper with spray.  Cover paper with 1 1/4 cups chopped peanuts.


In medium pot, combine 1 Tbsp water, caramels, and marshmallows over 
medium heat.  Cook, stirring frequently, until caramels and marshmallows 
melt and mixture is smooth, about 8 minutes.


Immediately pour over peanuts.


Then top with remaining 1 cup of peanuts.


Let cool until set, about 2 hours.


 Cut into bars and store in airtight container with parchment
paper in between layers.

Source:  recipe from Everyday Food, April 2011

8 comments:

  1. You had peanut butter! Yum! Glad you are safe after the storms! SO scary!

    Tamar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sherri these look awesome. The great thing is: Tom doesn't like peanuts so I could have these all to myself. MMMMM

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad that you are ok and safe after the storm! Btw: those peanut butter bars look amazing! So need to try them:)Kisses and hugs, my dear

    ReplyDelete
  4. oHH I heard this on the news this mornng! glad to hear you are fine so far!!! The peanut bars look delicious! I am a declared peanut fan!! Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  5. those looks AMAZING! I HAVE to make them! Seriously, I am tonight :) Your blog is adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you're safe! Tornadoes can be scary.

    that looks delicious! Love all the melted caramel.
    I'd guess they're maybe like a payday candy bar?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those bars look and sound really yummy; however, with my new
    temporary crown I don't think I'll be trying them this week! I'll need to wait a while, but thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete